Wednesday 14 May 2014

Final Pieces

I started sampling for my final pieces, starting with the clutch bag covered in one of my prints.

I decided to use this print for my clutch bag, as it is one of my favourite prints and I think it compliments the other print I'm going to use for my scalf and looks well together as a collection.


I got my prints photocopied onto acetate, intending on creating my final piece with it or some similar material. I attempted sewing with it, but it was very difficult to sow with due to its inflexibility and my outcome looked shoddy to say how much effort it was. 






Here I attempted to make the clutch 3D to make it more practical and useable making it more of a sellable item. I first attempted to thicken up the side and soften it by sowing in some fabric with the seam, but this didn't work as it was flat as it always was and due the the transparent acetate the fabric looked very cheap and out of place.
I then tried to make it 3D using a strip of acetate, this worked as it made the bag have more depth, but it was incredibly difficult to sow together and make it look like a good quality stitching job had been done because of how immovable the acetate is when in a sowing machine.










But i tried to create another clutch out of acetate using a strip on each side to add depth to see if i could do a better stitching job.

It wasn't as bad as the first try but I'm still going to rule out acetate as a material to use for my clutch as its far too difficult to work with.


I then decided to hunt down some clear PVC to use instead, this being unsuccessful I found some white leather and am going to use that instead. 

Considering how I am going to transfer my print onto the white leather, after a discussion with my fellow students about my options I decided to use the embroidery machine to stitch on one of my prints onto the bag, as I can ensure all the print will be fully on the bag unlike with screen printing when some areas can be more clearer and darker than others. Also with the embroidery machine I can get each side of the bag to be identical by repeating the process. I want this clutch to look as professional as possibly so I think the Embroidery machine is the best choice as I can guarantee no mistakes.





I am using muslin for my scalf and pocket square, I have been unsuccessful in tracking down the right kind of silk i want for this piece. Muslin will hopefully give a good effect, but had I had more time I would have got the exact silk i wanted of the internet to create my desired look. 

This is the print I'm using on the scalf, as it a big enough print to fill a scalf with and the pattern isn't very confusing or hard to figure out, when a man is wearing it draped over his shoulders when the material is bunched up its still going to be visible what the print is.



No comments:

Post a Comment