Tuesday 13 May 2014

Statement of intent

After looking at my research I have come to a decision of what to do for my final pieces as it is coming up to the hand in date.

My initial thoughts were to create a mans formal shirt with my print but after consideration I decided that would be too time consuming and inefficient for how much time I have left, as my garment construction skills are not as good as necessary to quickly put a shirt together and I don't have enough lessons with my contstruction teacher to realistically to it.



So I then thought of embellishing a shirt by putting my prints on the collar and cuffs and button lining of the shirt, but after looking at Matt Booths work on scalfs and seeing how Christopher Kane printed his prints onto various garments and considering the time I have left I decided to create a collection of menswear accessories.

After discussions with my tutor of this as my possible final pieces, I decided to design a collection of ties on illustrator to see how they looked filled with my print this was my outcome.

These illustrations portray the look I want to achieve, I think the formal style and status of a tie mixed with an unconventional print like these gives a very abstract unique vibe. I can see these ties being sold Marlybones department store - Matches fashion, Wolf and Badger, The shop at Bluebird. A quirky store with key one off unique items. 


I also created some fashion flat scalfs filled with my prints.

The black outline inspired my Matt Booth, I also think it will add something to the scalf and make it look more expensive and close in the print rather than make it look like I have just cut it off a large piece of fabric. As I want my product to be sold in quite up market London department stores, I need to ensure my product looks desirable and fitting to my target market. This being, quirky men with an eye for one off pieces for their wardrobe and a disposable income to spend on non essential pieces such as a clutch bag, or pocket square with a wacky print on it. These men have a purpose in their careers, style and how they present themselves to the world in real life and on social medias such as instagram and the black outline gives the scalf a sense of purpose as it frames the print and gives it prominence to show this is it.
I can see these scalfs also sold in the same shops as the ties. I intend to create a scalf or pocket square out of screen print onto silk after deciding against my digital printing plan due to restricted options of materials and non of the digital printing fabrics are suitable for a scalf to sit elegantly on the body, and I wouldn't be able to print the same print on each side of the scalf. However when using screen print on the silk the pigment of the paint will be so strong it will show through on the other side of the fabric getting the double sided scale print effect as desired. 

My final design idea is a clutch bag, can be used for an iPad, documents for work, or as a general bag to keep daily necessities in it. These are my fashion flats I created on illustrator filled with my prints.






No comments:

Post a Comment