Wednesday 23 April 2014

Chanel shop

Narrowing down the images of the shop windows I am using as a starting point to seed ideas, the Chanel store had the most admirable exterior. The window displays were rather simple compared to others shops on Old Bond street, but the shops exterior as a whole had lots of lines and geometric shapes and layering, which is particularly appealing to me at this point in my project.



Current inspiration and connections

The Chanel building reminded me of a few of my current interests and things I've seen and took an interest in recently.

The building reminded of me of my fascination with the architecture of the houses in areas of London such as Notting Hill, as it has a similar look with the multiple rows elegant windows, the black iron railing contrasting against the white bricks.








These are some photos I got from instagram of the housing in Notting Hill. These houses were built in 1850's and there value range from £3.5m to £340,000 a very wealthy area of London that was originally built for the poorest people in London and was labeled a 'slum' but has not turned into one of the wealthiest areas.


This is another photo I discovered on tumblr a while ago of similar architecture to the houses in Notting Hill.


"I always find that if something I'm working with reminds me of something I'm interested I am a lot more creative and inspired with it, so I allowed some of the images from my instagram and tumblr to connect with my project to generate more productivity in my work."


A further connection I made to the Chanel building, in terms of clothing, was the Christopher Kane AW14 collection from London Fashion Week.

These images below are my favorite pieces from his collection, the movement of the layered up geometric shaped material looks like the undulating pages of a book as they are walked down the runway. An ingenious design.





The strikingly contrasting colours used on these dresses reminded me of the Chanel building, the bricks on either sides of the windows are an off white colour with a black outline, similar to the contrasting outline on each of the rectangle or squares of fabric on each dress.







This above dress reminds me of the layering position of the unfilled window frames in the window displays. The repetitiveness of the squares in the dress are similar to the repetitive presence of the  frames in the window displays. 







These dresses below, when pictured in 2D form look similar to the print I want to design. Abstract geometric lines.



 I intend to use the repetitive geometric shapes in the Chanel window to create some kind of digital print using photoshop and illustrator, using inspiration from the lines and movement of these dresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment